vegetarian stuffed sweet potatoes with beans and guac
YIELD: 2 servings
ACTIVE TIME: 35 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 35 minutes
I've recently cooked this recipe at home and it was SO delicious. It is also such a great option for a vegetarian dinner. I highly suggest this recipe as it is quick and simple to serve up on the dinner table during the week.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 9 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons melted virgin coconut or vegetable oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped, divided
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 2 cups baby spinach (about 2 ounces)
- 1 ounce crumbled queso fresco (about 1/4 cup)
- Tortilla chips (optional; for serving)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Toss with 1 Tbsp. oil, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. cayenne, and 1/4 tsp. cumin on a rimmed baking sheet. Arrange cut side up and roast until fork-tender, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in a medium skillet over medium. Add onion and half of garlic and cook, stirring, until onion starts to release moisture and turns translucent, 2–3 minutes. Add beans, broth, 1/4 tsp. salt, and remaining 1/4 tsp. cayenne and 1/4 tsp. cumin and cook until liquid is reduced and beans soften, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash avocado and remaining garlic in a medium bowl with a fork until smooth. Stir in 2 Tbsp. cilantro, 1 Tbsp. lime juice, and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt.
- Add spinach and remaining 1 Tbsp. lime juice to bean mixture. Continue to cook until spinach wilts, about 30 seconds.Using the back of a spoon, gently push down in center of potato halves to create a divot. Spoon bean mixture into potato halves, then top evenly with 2 Tbsp. avocado mixture, quesco fresco, and remaining 1 Tbsp. cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips, if using, and remaining avocado dip alongside.
Image and recipe via epicurious